When should people call their GP?
People who have a fever and flu-like symptoms or respiratory symptomsand who have been in the Wuhan region within the last 2 weeks can contact their GP by telephone. The GP consults with the Municipal Public Health Service (GGD) if it is necessary to be examined for the novel coronavirus.
What can people do to prevent the spread of the coronavirus?
The most important measures people can take to prevent the spread of the coronavirus are very simple. These measures apply to all viruses that can cause flu and colds. It is always important to follow up these basic hygiene measures:
· Wash your hands regularly
· Cough and sneeze on the inside of your elbow
· Use paper handkerchiefs
I have flu-like symptoms. Could that be the novel coronavirus?
That chance is very slim. Most patients with this virus are from Wuhan or have travelled to Wuhan recently. People who have a cold or lung problems in the Netherlands do not have to worry about having the novel coronavirus. Certainly not if they have not been to Wuhan recently. It is much more likely that people just have the flu.
How is the Netherlands preparing for a possible coronavirus outbreak?
The new coronavirus may also emerge in the Netherlands via travellers. Therefore, it is essential to ensure that this is noticed as soon as possible and that we ensure that the virus cannot spread. The Netherlands has a structure in place in which doctors, laboratories and Municipal Public Health Service (GGD) all work together to combat various outbreaks of infectious diseases. Multiple actions have been taken within this collaboration:
· The National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM National Institute for Public Health and the Environment ) and Erasmus University Medical Center, Erasmus MC are informed about the outbreak via various international bodies.
· RIVM informs doctors, GGD’s and microbiological laboratories about the latest developments and what to do if someone is infected with the novel coronavirus.
· Erasmus MC and RIVM have good laboratory tests at their disposal to identify the virus.
•荷兰国家公共卫生与环境研究院（RIVM National Institute for Public Health and the Environment）和伊拉斯谟大学医疗中心（Erasmus MC）通过各种国际机构获悉疫情。
• Erasmus MC和RIVM拥有完备的实验室测试，可用以识别病毒。
Do you have fever and flu-like symptoms?
People who have been in the Wuhan region and have a cold can contact their GP by telephone if they have a fever and flu-like symptoms or respiratory symptoms. Before you go, call first and mention your recent travel to Wuhan.
Where can I go for more information?
For general questions about the novel coronavirus you can contact the GGD in your region (GGD website).
photo from RIVM of the netherlands